Tuesday 11 October 2011

Lets Start at the Beginning...Well Almost

Okay so I'm currently 7 months in to my pre-operation dental treatment which consists of a lovely set of braces who's current goal is to ruin my teeth beyond recognition - and they're succeeding! But no they're very necessary for my treatment.


From as far back as I can remember I have had an asymmetrical jaw. The aesthetics of this presents itself with my chin leaning more towards the left and slightly protruding forwards- but no under bite might I add. 


Now I hope you're aware I am not getting this surgery out of vanity. The real problem is the jaw itself and the damage that has been done to the muscle having to take the uneven strain of my jaw opening everyday. One doctor so helpfully described this to me as a chest of draws which has one side of the runners misshapen or damaged, which when pulled open would cause bumping and clicking. This is exactly what my jaw does. Click! Click! Click!


This is known as TMJD (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder) and it doesn't exactly cause a light headache, believe me! Everyday I have a continuous Dull, aching pain, which is interrupted and replaced by the sharp 'Oh My Gosh Make it Stop!' pain which occurs when my jaw clicks and pops.


So..Basically I have been waiting all these years for the doctors to agree that I'm ready to start surgery, and I'm pretty sure I'm ready. Either way its a bit late now- my teeth have already began to move ready for my jaw to be reshaped and moved backwards!


Treatment Started: March 
Treatment Finished: can't quiet see that far yet


But I'm generally optimistic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment